Cape Breton's Magazine

> Issue 30 > Page 42 - Fragment from Mining at Gold Brook

Page 42 - Fragment from Mining at Gold Brook

Published by Ronald Caplan on 1981/12/1 (1570 reads)

can shareholders, and money seemed to be no problem. They purchased a steam engine, a crusher, a stamp mill, and a Wilfley con? centrating table. This machinery came to Nyanza by boat and (according to John Sam Nicholson) was hauled on wagons up the West Middle River Road--drawn by eight horses tandem harness to each load. There were at least five such loads, and they did not enter what is now the Gold Brook Road. Instead, they went about a mile fur? ther up on the Margaree Road and there crossed the river and began their steep, narrow climb to the gold mines. In the meantime a local carpenter was sent up to the mainland to supervise the disman? tling of an old mine building and trans? port it by train to Orangedale. This writ? er does not know the size of the building, but what was memorable at that time was the fact that it contained ninety windows and it took one month to complete the job. After this material made its way to the mines, the same carpenter was hired to re? construct it at Gold Brook, where he also erected an office, bunkhouse, cookhouse, and living quarters. In 1906 W. C. Scran- ton's property was bonded to the Great Bras d'Or Gold Mining Company. The tunnel north of the brook was extended 50 feet. The mine face was then about 350 feet. In that year they crushed only 8 tons of quartz, yielding only 3 ounces, 17 penny? weight of gold. But considerable quartz was sent away for assay. The mine is situated about three miles from the entrance to the Gold Brook Road. In the narrow, steep-sided valley of the Second Gold Brook, the hills rise on both sides to a height of about 600 feet. In 1907, on the opposite side of the brook but in the same vein, another tunnel was driven easterly. By the end of the year this tunnel was in about 125 feet. In these workings the lead showed considera? ble free gold. Mr. Scranton surrendered his license on De? cember 20, 1907. The Great Bras d'Or Gold Mining Company now had in its employ vari? ous crews of men, some mining, some cut? ting wood to keep the crusher going, while others were doing surveys. Many local peo? ple were employed in cooking; cleaning, and trucking. A lot of the provisions were bought locally, so that all in all the Scott's Hardware 464 Prince St., Sydney (564-6401) Service Centre on Cape Breton Island for Sunbeam & Canadian General Electric Small Appliances - We Service - Irons Vacuum Cleaners Toasters Frypans Locksmithing a Specialty Hairdryers Blenders BRIAND'S CAB visit Gipc Breton ''SS??' fWI g' WT Wm ' see the heautifut AWtJH2?? CABOT TRAIL 564-6161 564-6162 Isle Royale Beverages Ltd, Cctike. (42) Your authorized COCA-COLA bottler 564-8130 526-4439 245 Wei ton Street Sydney, N. S. We Buy & We Sell and We're as Near as your Telephone Sid's Used Furniture 436 Charlotte St, Sydney . 564-6123 CO-OP ' DO-IT- YOURSELF Home Improvement Centre Complete stocks of limiber, building supplies. Plumbing, heating and electrical materials. We cater to the building public. Component Homes & Cottages CXD-OP Building Supplies Sydney Port HgRArt'sbury 539-6410 625-2600
Cape Breton's Magazine
  View this article in PDF format Print article

Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to the PDF version of this content. Click here to download and install the Acrobat plugin
Acrobat Reader Download