Cape Breton's Magazine

> Issue 42 > Page 30 - Robt. Elmsley's "Early History of Baddeck"

Page 30 - Robt. Elmsley's "Early History of Baddeck"

Published by Ronald Caplan on 1986/6/1 (727 reads)

(18) (16) (14) of Mr. George Munro near the head of Victoria Pier. ("It's now the residence of Mrs. Bert MacLeod. Her husband (Albert MacLeod) was the grandson of Moth? er Gaelic. So that returns it to the original owners.") What Mr. Elmsley means when he wrote, "The King made annual visits in his warship to collect his dues"--probably means that the customs or revenue officials at Sydney used to send a ship with an of? ficer or officers to collect customs and taxes. No "king" reigned in England at that time, as Queen Victoria had ascended the throne in 1837. Perhaps he meant that the Indian "king" or chief used to levy tribute, and this is not improbable. The Mr. Gammell referred to was an influential mer? chant at Little Bras d'Or; he was afterwards assoc? iated with Mr. Christie, and the business was then known as Gammell & Christie. The Mr. Anderson of Sydney that he mentions was Mr. James Anderson, an uncle of Mr. Elmsley. He made his way to Baddeck by stages from Quebec, coming first to Halifax, then to Sydney, finally to Bad- deck • in addition to the Baddeck business, he oper? ated a branch store in Ingonish, where he traded and purchased large quantities of fish and timber, which he exported to the Scottish shipbuilding mar? ket. He built a bark, the Triumph, at MacKay's Point, Washabuckt, in 1841, and he was drowned a- long with a nephew from this same ship off Oporto, Portugal, in 1852. His death was a severe blow to Baddeck, as he was a progressive citizen. He paid his men in cash, not script. The Charles J. Campbell referred to was the late Hon. C. J. Campbell, who was later the principal merchant in Victoria County, and at one time our representative in the House of Commons. He died in 1906 at an advanced age, respected by all, and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery. ("He gave them the land for the cemetery and he was the first one bur? ied there.") Robert Elmsley and Charles J. Camp? bell worked for a short time together as clerks in Mr. Anderson's store on Kidston's Island. Not much is known of Mr. William Keynock, the head clerk mentioned. All we know about him is that a street partly submerged near the pond below the post office is named for him. The Mr. Arnold referred to was for many years a respected resident of Baddeck. He was a blacksmith and carried on business where Mr. H. Y. Fraser now does business. His residence, and the one referred to by Mr. Elmsley, is the house and property now ,-px occupied by Mrs. Phillip B. MacNeil. The "McKillop '''' cottage" means the house now occupied by Mr. Lach- lan R. MacDonald on the Baddeck Bay Road, and the house adjoining it, referred to by Mr. Elmsley, was the old "Taylor property" just below it, which dis? appeared many years ago. ("Fraser's house is the one across here where Allan Ingraham is, and Sal? ly's Fabric Cellar. And his blacksmith shop was just below where the Lunch Basket is, toward the water. Mr. Arnold's • that's the house that Lilias Toward lives in today.") The Joseph Campbell referred to was born in Newry, Ireland, and conducted an inn on the eastern side (17) of Hume's Cove, very near where Capt. William East? man has his residence. ("Hume's Cove is where Cape Breton Boatyard is today. That's where he had his first so-called post office.") Mr. Campbell con? ducted what was an old-fashioned tavern--refresh- ments for man and beast • food, lodgings, and grog. The McCabe referred to was the late John J. McCabe, a lawyer who tried his hand at several things--he was a candidate for the House of Assembly in this county in 1898 or in 1899. He operated a sawmill in Hume's Cove, and the remains of the old boiler may be seen there still. I think that Mr. McCabe died in Newfoundland. He was a native of Hants County. Mery little is known of the Dougald Ken? nedy mentioned • Mr. Elmsley puts it yery aptly when he says, "He evaporated." Of the three stevedores mentioned, the late Colin Maclver will be remembered by many of the resi? dents living in Baddeck today. He lived to an ad? vanced age and was respected by all. Mr. John Mac? Kay, the "Holy John" referred to, died in Baddeck about 40 years ago, where he made his home with his son George, now also deceased, on South Twin? ing Street. He earned his name on account of his remarkable knowledge and study of the Scriptures. Mr. A. F. Haliburton will be remembered by many of us; he passed away about 30 years ago, or perhaps (20) 35. He was Sergeant-at-Arms in the House of Assem? bly at the time of his passing. The James Crowdis referred to was the father of the late William P. Crowdis, who resided where John P. MacLean lives now on the Inlet Road. This (21) James Crowdis is buried at the old churchyard ceme? tery at the rear of St. Michael's Catholic Church, Baddeck. CONTINUED NEXT PAGE PIPER'S TRAILER COURT Featuring: 929-2233 Fully Licensed Dining Room * Guest House * Swimming Pool Ocean-Side Campsites * Laundromat * Mini-Mart Indian Brook on the Cabot Trail Halfway Between Baddeck and Ingonish Cape Breton Mental Health Centre Main Location: 1st Floor, Cape Breton Hospital, Sydney River Satellite Clinics Serve These Areas: North Sydney, Glace Bay, New Waterford, Neil's Harbour, Ingonish, Cheticamp, Baddeck, St. Peter's Services: Psychotherapy, Individual Counselling, Marriage & Family Counselling, Group Therapy, Consultation to Agencies, Schools, etc.. Drug Therapy, Forensic Assessment, Psychological Testing, Parenting, Children''s Services Referrals accepted from all sources. You can even refer yourself. Please Call 562-3202 or 562-3110 or 562-3333 (30)
Cape Breton's Magazine
  View this article in PDF format Print article

Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to the PDF version of this content. Click here to download and install the Acrobat plugin
Acrobat Reader Download